1. Personal information we may collect
In order to register on the Site and use our Services, we need to collect some personal information which may vary depending on the use you make of it. This information may include:
- Information you provide by completing forms in Tree-Nation such as when you register, create a forest, create a plantation project, plant trees, etc.
- Information you post on the Site, such as “virtual trees”, “seeds”, “forests”, comments, plantation project updates, forum threads, etc.
- Your Facebook information if you sign up with Facebook Connect. We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
- Information you provide when you contact us by email o other means to get support, ask questions, send feedback, etc.
- Your IP address and type of device and browser you use while browsing the Site.
2. How we store your personal information
We have adopted all legally required measures under all relevant data protection laws. Your personal information is compiled automatically and incorporated in the appropriate files, named “USERS”, properly registered in the Spanish Data Protection Agency. Every file will be considered confidential by Tree-Nation or any other entity affiliated with us.
We use Security Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology to encrypt sensitive personal information before it travels over the Internet. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers. Credit card numbers are never stored on our database or servers.
Please keep your passwords in a safe place. Tree-Nation recommends you to change your passwords frequently and to not share your accounts with anyone. We will never ask for your password besides the login and sign up processes. Any party claiming to be a representative, subsidiary or affiliate of Tree-Nation that asks for a password does not represent us in any condition or capacity.
We do everything in our power to protect your personal information. However, Internet traffic and electronic storage can not be guaranteed to be 100% safe and secure. Therefore we cannot ensure or guarantee the absolute security of any information sent, transmitted or stored.
3. What information is public
Some information you provide will be accessible to other users of the site. This information includes:
- The name of your user account
- The information you attach to your profile.
- The date of your birthday (your age won’t be public as we only publish the day and month of your birthday).
- Your location in case you provide this information on your profile.
- Any information to directly publish on the Site, such as comments, “likes”, trees, forests, etc.
- The names of the senders and recipients of offered trees/seeds as well as the content of such trees/seeds, unless specifically marked as “private”.
If you are a plantation project owner, your contributors will receive a bill/receipt every time they make a contribution to your project. This bill will contain some information about your organization that you have previously provided us with. This information may include your organization’s name, registration number, address and the name and signature of the person in charge.
If you are the manager of a company forest, we will share the company’s information you provided with the plantation projects you contribute to in order to issue the bills required.
4. How we use your personal information
We primarily use your personal information to customize and improve your experience on the Site and to provide you with the Services. For example, we can use your personal information to:
- Identify you when you sign in to your account;
- Facilitate you with the Services we provide;
- Send you newsletters or other promotional communications, always in accordance with your email preferences;
- Answer your inquiries and customer service requests;
- Analyze the use of the Services to improve our content and Services; and
- Other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
5. How we share your personal information with third parties
We will not sell, rent or share your individual personal data with other entities or companies. We may only share your personal data with third parties to provide you services or products within the context of the Site or when you have expressly given your consent. We reserve the right to disclose personal information in the following cases:
- In response to court orders or any orders from law enforcement or judicial authorities, but only upon receipt of appropriate documentation.
- To defend against legal claims or exercise Tree-Nation’s rights.
- When participating in investigations or in response to illegal or suspicious activities.
- When otherwise required by law.
We may use your email address to send you communications such as newsletters and marketing or promotional emails. You can opt-out from receiving these communications by changing your emails preferences in your “Settings” section. However, you may not opt-out from some important Service-related communications.
Cookies are small packets of information, widely used by Internet service providers, which are downloaded to your computer when you access certain websites. Sometimes cookies are used to enable or improve browsing on a particular page; in other cases, they are used to store and retrieve information about your browsing activity.
You can block, delete or enable cookies installed on your computer at any time through the settings of your browser options. Be aware that removing or blocking certain cookies may make it impossible to browse properly or to use certain Services on the Site.
8. Your rights
You may, at any moment, exercise your rights of access, modification, cancellation and opposition by logging in to the Site and updating your profile.
You can also send us an email to email@example.com and indicate which right you intend to exert and clearly identifying yourself with your name and email.
We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes.
10. Questions and suggestions
For any questions and suggestions, please use our contact us form.