1. Personal information we may collect
In order to register on the Site and use our Services, we need to collect some personal information which may vary depending on the use you make of it. This information may include:
- Information you voluntarily provide by completing forms in Tree-Nation such as when you register, create a forest, create a plantation project, plant trees, etc.
- Information you post on the Site, such as “virtual trees”, “seeds”, “forests”, comments, plantation project updates, forum threads, etc.
- Your Facebook information if you sign up with Facebook Connect. We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
- Information you provide when you contact us by email or other means to get support, ask questions, send feedback, etc.
- We may use third party website analytic tools such as Google Analytics on our website that employ cookies to collect certain information concerning your use of our Services. However , you can disable cookies by changing your browser settings. Further information about the procedure to follow in order to disable cookies can be found on your Internet browser provider’s website via your help screen.
- Your IP address and type of device and browser you use while browsing the Site.
2. How we store your personal information
We have adopted all legally required measures under all relevant data protection laws. Your personal information is compiled automatically and incorporated in the appropriate files, named “USERS”, properly registered in the Spanish Data Protection Agency. Every file will be considered confidential by Tree-Nation or any other entity affiliated with us.
We use Security Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology to encrypt sensitive personal information before it travels over the Internet. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers. Credit card numbers are never stored on our database or servers.
Tree-Nation is based in Spain. No matter where you are located, you consent to the processing and transferring of your information in and to Spain and other countries.
Please keep your passwords in a safe place. Tree-Nation recommends you to change your passwords frequently and to not share your accounts with anyone. We will never ask for your password besides the login and sign up processes. Any party claiming to be a representative, subsidiary or affiliate of Tree-Nation that asks for a password does not represent us in any condition or capacity.
We do everything in our power to protect your personal information. However, Internet traffic and electronic storage can not be guaranteed to be 100% safe and secure. Therefore we cannot ensure or guarantee the absolute security of any information sent, transmitted or stored.
3. What information is public
Some information you provide will be accessible to other users of the site. This information includes:
- The name of your user account.
- Your forest profile page and all its sections, and the information you add to it.
- The date of your birthday only if you choose to provide this information (your age will never be made public as we only publish the day and month of your birthday). You can remove this information or make it private at any time from your forest profile page and your user settings.
- Your location only if you choose to provide this information. You can remove this information at any time from your forest profile page and your user settings.
- Any information you directly publish on public sections of the Site, such as comments, “likes”, trees, forests, etc.
- The names of the senders and recipients of offered trees/seeds as well as the content of such trees/seeds, unless specifically marked as “private”.
In order to provide you more control on your forest profile you can mark some specific sections as “private” like the CO2 impact and the friends’ list of your forest.
If you are a plantation project owner, your contributors will receive a bill/receipt every time they make a contribution to your project. This bill will contain some information about your organization that you have previously provided us with for this purpose. This information may include your organization’s name, registration number, address and the name and signature of the person in charge.
If you are the manager of a company forest, we will share the company’s information you provided with the plantation projects you contribute to in order to issue the bills required.
4. How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to provide you with the Services and to customize and improve your experience on the Site. For example, we can use your personal information to:
- Identify you when you sign in to your account;
- Facilitate you with the Services we provide;
- Send you newsletters or other promotional communications, always in accordance with your email preferences;
- Answer your inquiries and customer service requests;
- Analyze the use of the Services to improve our content and Services; and
- Other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
As required by the european General Data Protection Regulation, we explain you about the legal ground on to use or disclose your personal data. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds are as follows:
- To honor our contractual commitments to you: much of our processing of personal data is to meet our contractual obligations to our users, or to take steps at users’ request in anticipation of entering into a contract with them. For example, we handle personal data on this basis to create your account and provide our Services.
- Legitimate interests: In many cases, we handle personal data on the ground that it furthers our legitimate interests in ways that are not overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the affected individuals: This includes:
- Providing a safe and enjoyable user experience;
- Customer service;
- Send you newsletters or other marketing communications, always in accordance with your email preferences;
- Protecting our users, personnel, and property;
- Analyzing and improving our business, e.g. collecting information about how you use our Services to optimize the design and placement of certain features;
- Processing job applications;
- Managing legal issues.
- Legal compliance: we need to use and disclose personal data in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
- To protect vital interests.
- Consent: where required by law, and in some other cases, we handle personal data on the basis of your implied or express consent.
5. How we share your personal information with third parties
We will not sell, rent or share your individual personal data with other entities or companies. We may only share your personal data with third parties to provide you services or products within the context of the Site or when you have expressly given your consent. Examples of such cases include mailing processing, maintaining databases and processing payments.
We reserve the right to disclose personal information in the following cases:
- In response to court orders or any orders from law enforcement or judicial authorities, but only upon receipt of appropriate documentation.
- To defend against legal claims or exercise Tree-Nation’s rights.
- When participating in investigations or in response to illegal or suspicious activities.
- When otherwise required by law.
We may use your email address to send you communications such as newsletters and marketing or promotional emails. You can opt-out from receiving these communications by changing your emails preferences in your “Settings” section. In this section you will be able precisely select which kind of emails you want to receive. However, you may not opt-out from some important Service-related communications.
Cookies are small packets of information, widely used by Internet service providers, which are downloaded to your computer when you access certain websites. Sometimes cookies are used to enable or improve browsing on a particular page; in other cases, they are used to store and retrieve information about your browsing activity.
You can block, delete or enable cookies installed on your computer at any time through the settings of your browser options. Be aware that removing or blocking certain cookies may make it impossible to browse properly or to use certain Services on the Site.
8. Your rights
We are committed to give you control over your personal data in order to improve your user experience. From your user settings, you can change your email preferences, deactivate or delete your account, make some information public or private and modify some of your personal information (for example your user name, email address, location and birthdate).
You may, at any moment, exercise your rights of access, modification, cancellation and opposition by logging in to the Site and updating your profile.
You can also send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which right you intend to exert and clearly identifying yourself with your name and email.
We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes.
10. Questions and suggestions
For any questions and suggestions, please use our contact us form.